Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sunny Saturday

Morning world,

I must be in a good mood. Sitting here on a Saturday morning, awaiting the library to open. Smiling seeing the sun through the windows. And it's only been 20 minutes or so since I got here and can't seem to finish my coffee fast enough to wake up. Yep. thank goodness it's Saturday. Since working in the public library system, I have come to look at Fridays and Saturdays in a different light. It is no longer "TGIF" because Friday is the last day of work; it is now "TGIF because tomorrow is Saturday". It has taken some time and adjustment to come to see the Tuesday to Saturday schedule in positive light. First, I started saying to myself "well, I can get stuff done on Mondays like make calls to business-hours-only places, or go to the mall and it be quiet,", etc. Then it started feeling like I have two Fridays and two Mondays: Friday feels like Friday, Saturday feels like Friday, Monday feels like Monday, and Tuesday feels like Monday. That second Monday can be felt doubly hard some weeks, although it shouldn't. Really, it is a mental thing. I now go out and have a couple drinks with my best friend on Friday nights, which has helped. Usually by the time Saturday night comes, I'm ready to crawl into my papasan chair with my kitties, have popcorn, and watch a movie. Then of course Sunday night is out because everyone else works on Monday morning. It can be a bummer. But, either way, I get my two days off. And for the adjustment period, I hate to admit it but everyone has something to complain about sometimes no matter how irrational or rational it may be to complain about.

Today, I get to go down to the Children's desk to work. Très exciting. I like working down there. Going from the adult reference services desk to the children's desk is like passing into a different world where sometimes the two connect. Helping kids find information is simply rewarding. It's quieter. You get to deal with a kid's silliness instead of adult silliness: they are two different types of silliness. An adult's silliness borderlines just plain lack of common sense or they go about it in such a way that it is simply annoying. Quotable "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand" (Charles Schulz). So true. You deal with the public and that's what you get though. Some are truly sincere and want help in doing useful, productive things (i.e. resume, learn how to use a computer, etc). The life long learners are the fun type of people here at the library.

I think presentations can be a lot of fun. Did a presentation yesterday for my fellow co-workers. And it went fairly well. So much information. An overload almost. Great fun though. The depths of online government documents are immense. Trying to cover all the important ones in just an afternoon is quite the task. Not to toot my own horn too loudly, but I managed to cover ones that staff would use the most and ones that would be good for patrons to know about when it comes to some reference questions asked at the desk. I hadn't done a presentation like that since last April and I must admit that I enjoyed it.

Anyway, I best be off to other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment